Monday, January 02, 2006

So Far...

... the progress on the mystery quilt went slower than I expected. I woke up at 4am on Saturday instead of 6. Can you say excited? :) Clue #1 goes by fine, onto clue #2; I'm sewing up a storm and trying to get some "bonus triangles" from the pieces and I managed to sew about 30 pieces with no bobbin thread!! Don't you just hate that? Sewing on and on without a single clue that you're just wasting your time and electricity. Blah! :P After that, things moved a little slower and I crashed and fell asleep before getting to clue #3. Can you believe that I slept for 3.5 hours straight?

I kept on sewing until we needed to head over to in-law's for church that evening. Afterwards we stayed until 10pm to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the new version. I got to my machine at 10:30 and started sewing like crazy. I was still sewing when the new year rolled in - I think that's a great way to start the year, doing what I love! :) Somewhere around 2am I got a huge bird's nest on the bottom. I picked the bad stitches out, rethreaded my machine and said "enough!" and went to bed.

Well, turns out whatever problem I was having with the bobbin area was WAAAAAAAY worse than I thought. On Sunday over and over I was trying to get a plain ol' straight stitch with no luck. Then I knew I was gonna have to get on my knees and get dirty by thoroughly cleaning out the bobbin area. I even took off some bobbin components so I could get behind it to clean it. Wow... the gunk was unbelieveable!! I switched to a less linty thread, and of course my brain said that I wouldn't have as much problems, right? Not that I ever had problems like this before. The good news is with a million q-tips, lots of oil, tweezers and a couple of "ewws!" everything is running smooth again. :)

Back to sewing the mystery... and I got 2 dozen of these today:

What you don't see is that there's gonna be a 9-patch once the sashing and cornerstones are in place. But I haven't gotten that far. I really hope tomorrow? Yet I have big plans tomorrow...

I'm hoping to dye some fabric for the first time ever!!! I got about 10 yards of white muslin ready to go. I went to WalMart and got all the supplies I needed - squeeze bottle, measuring cups and spoons, buckets, rubberbands, funnels and containers. I was all over the store to get what I needed. Did you know that funnels from the car section are cheaper than the kitchen section? Or that buckets are best from the cleaning section? Heck, I don't think I got any of my actual supplies from the craft area! Erg, I did get some fabric! Stuff that starts with B - Backgrounds, Border and Baby. *giggle* ok, Baby isn't really an "authorized" stash-busting fabric. Good thing I haven't signed up for the No-Buy fabric group! ;)

Leah

6 comments:

Trish said...

Nice block! What mystery quilt were you doing?

trish
www.randomthreads.com

quiltpixie said...

we all have sewing days like that. Hang in there...

Finn said...

Hi Leah, just had to pop over and see what you are up to..have been noticing your name on some of the blogs I read..*S* Your quilts are great! So happy that you are blogging and sharing them with us..*VBS*

Nancy said...

I like this block. But of course I'd do it scrappy. :-) I've tried doing mysteries but I have to know what the end result is before I'll commit fabric to it. (And this from somewho who designs mysteries. LOL!

Sarah said...

Leah -

I love the mystery blocks. I am sure they are going to look really cool all put together. Make sure you share more pictures!

Sarah

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I like how this block looks so far! I have to go down and read a bit more about where you are doing this mystery through! I like the looks of it so far!