Thursday, March 02, 2006

I can't help it!

It's like some horrible addiction. Completely unresistable... I can't help but make everything scrappy! Take this Birthday Block that I made. The gal asked for any star, blue and white. Could I stick to just one blue fabric? No!!! It had to be at least 8 different blues.

The only thing I'd change about this block would be to put another blue in the center square. Make the center star solid blue. Otherwise, it's just perfect!

Really, going scrappy makes my life so much easier. I don't worry about the colors matching. I don't have to say "ohh... I want this color... no wait, I want THIS one more." Nope, both of them can go in! :) The only downside is that you have to cut more fabric. But if you use pre-cut strips, all you gotta do is hunt down the colors you want and off you go!

I'm sad too... I had to mail the block away! My husband even praised it more than the usual "that looks nice dear." :) I want it back. Now I'm gonna have to make one for myself. :P Heck... why not do a whole quilt?! Mmm, I can get greens and purples in it. Or even make a rainbow! :)

Leah

5 comments:

Maya Madhavan said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and love your work but haven't said "Hi!" yet - so here it is! :)

That is a lovely block! I think making blocks scrappy is neat. Even if you make lots of blocks of the same type, each will be subtly different 'cause of the placement of each different fabric. There is a lot to be said for that, I think.

The same blocks in rainbow colours would look fantastic - I hope you make it. It would be lovely eye-candy! :)

Dorothy said...

That IS really pretty! If I were you (and scrappy wise, we're of a pretty similar midset I suspect) I'd just make more of the same, and more of the opposite - white where the blue is, blue where the white is. Classic!

Laura said...

Great block! I love 2 color quilts, whether you use 2 fabrics or 15!

Laurie Ann said...

I do like that block, your hubbie was right!

Finn said...

Awesome block Leah! ANd so perfectly done..I'd have had a hard time parting with it too!

I love your approach to scrap..keep up the great work! And thanks for the pointer at my blog, that elusive block was indeed, the Kansas Troubles block..thank you..things like that drive me nuts! But then, it doesn't take much to do that..LOL