I have no idea if I was even close or not, but I didn't win the challenge. It's ok though, I had about a dozen ladies congratulating me on the baby. Yes... I tried to sway things in my favor by saying on the description paper that the real challenge for the quilt ended up being able to finish it in time with morning sickness. Then I added my due date. :)
And oh yes! It was a challenge finishing it in time. I was THIS close to being done with the quilting... and I ran out of bobbin thread.
And I already used my "back up" bobbin, so I had to unthread the machine, wind up a bobbin for a mere gap and then finish it. Next was 2 hours of binding. I got it done in time... but not before dinner was made. Bad choice there, I ended up feeling rather light headed towards the end of the meeting. That prompted me to stash some carbs in my purse, in case it happens again.
Here's the quilt hanging with the rest. I think there was a total of 37 or 38 in the final submission.
The placement was pretty random by number, but somehow my quilt ended up next to a gal's quilt that popped even more than mine.
There's a total of 7 bobbins of thread in the quilting alone. The blue and green pebbles took 3 bobbins. I was kinda hoping if the design didn't cut it, all the quilting would. ;)
My original plan was to make water-like ripples in the blue and green sections, but I chickened out after a few inches of stitching. What my brain saw and what my fingers were doing were two completely different things! So I looked at some of my other completed quilts, and ended up getting inspiration from a wall hanging I did two years ago.
I'm planning to have the quilt hanging in the quilt show next February - I promised at least 2 people last February that I'd have something in the show for 2010! But it might be my last challenge or show quilt for a while, I'm expecting my hands to be very full after May. :)