I got the train quilt top done! This means I can move onto some other quilt projects that have been lurking in my head the past month. :)
There was 288 HSTs... just about wiped me out.
I timed myself, it took 50 minutes to just iron them open.
Then it took another 20 minutes to clip off the dog ears.
Good thing I didn't try king sized, it needs 972 HSTs.
24 blocks, and I managed to bust around 5.5 yards for this top.
I'm down to just inches on the blue, yellow and train fabric. That left either white or green for the binding... and any sane person would pick green!
I opted to put sashing on this quilt, even though the original directions didn't call for it. I just couldn't bear the idea of matching up all those HSTs seams. Yes, I'm a wimp. :)
I was hoping that the white in the quilt would give a railroad crossing look. Yellow yard, green shrubbery. Eh... pretty good for being all from stash except the train fabric. I really don't buy a lot of focus fabrics.
If we end up having a baby boy, I'll have a good quilt for him to grow into. It measures about 52x78. Not quite twin sized, but good for a child under 10. If I don't have a boy... we can always try again. ;)