Wednesday, December 21, 2005

*cough* Sewing Corner *cough*

I got attacked with some horrible cold/coughing germ. So bad that on Monday all I did was either sleep, watch TV or do a little computer. Usually when I start to feel the sniffles or a sore throat, my husband will say "you're not sick, you're not sick!" and I'll respond "fine, I'm not sick!" and I'm not sick. :) This time he hasn't said it at all... no, it's more like "you sound horrible." "Why don't you try sleeping for a while?" "Can I get you anything?" Yeah, that's how I know when I'm sick. :)

Tuesday I told myself that I was getting better and that I was gonna play "human", put some clothes on and go out. I went to the post office to mail a bunch of BOMs (Block of the Month) and on the way home I swung by Target for some throat drops because mine feels so raw. Got home and basically vegged out. Good thing my husband does a lot of cooking, cuz he's been on his own the past few days. I did check my temp - 98.6 - perfectly normal. I slept poorly that night too.

Move onto today, as part of Operation Feel Better, I decided not to take any medicine. It worked... sorta. I don't sound like I have rocks in my throat when I speak, but it feels like the entire cold dropped from my head to chest. I promptly freaked out thinking I might have bronchitis... again. Nothing like feeling a rubberband around your chest as you try to take deep breaths. So we went to Target for the 4th time in 4 days and I got some Mucinex, which is supposed to help with chest congestion and the bronchital pathways. And supposed to make me cough up a lot of gunk. No luck there yet. All dry hacking.

But I'm so tired of being sick! One day is enough. I did cut some fabric for blocks for Love Quilt requests on one of my quilting groups. All ready to start sewing... but alas, no energy. I decided that I'm gonna have to entertain you with a picture of my sewing area.

It measures 8 feet by 4 feet. Our whole living room is only 8x13. Currently that area looks waaaaaaaay worse. I have bags and bags of fabric that I have to leap over near where the purple box is. And I have to do it carefully cuz there's some dumbells near the bottom of the pile and they HURT to stub your toes on. :) Oh, and the couch is a fantastic place to lay freshly ironed fabric. I'm left-handed, so I'm able to conviently use the iron while, say, I'm paper piecing. The green bins in the back hold fabric and projects. I have two more green bins full in the dining room. Which the dining table doubles up as my cutting table.

I keep my stash of fabric near the bedroom walkway, but that's only a part of it. I ran out of room. :)

I could probably fill another one of those cube thingies. At least with them out in the open like this, I'm feel like I have more variety of fabric. And if you look closely, there's very few background fabrics. At the most, I have 15 yards. That's my goal for 2006 - getting enough background fabric so that I don't groan every time I need some - cuz either I don't have enough or I gotta go to WalMart and make do.

What I love about my husband is that he said if we get a 2 bedroom apartment, I can have the other room for all my sewing stuff!!!!! Thrills me to think about everything in one area... opposed to in every place except the kitchen, like right now. :) Although I imagine some bookcases and storage will end up in that room. No biggie - I love the idea of being able to sew in the middle of the night when inspiration hits. With our current studio, I gotta go to bed when my husband does or else he'll never be able to sleep. But as the moneymaker in our family, it's only fair. :)

Leah

P.S. Wanna say thanks for the comments - I tried to reply, but it didn't work out very well. On the other hand, it seems like most of you just graciously accept comments and keep us happy by posting every few days. :)

No comments: