Saturday, March 01, 2008

Jumping In

It wasn't exactly planned, but looks like I'm jumping in Judy's Quiltathon. Another easy quilt for me. Guess I'm still recovering from all those tiny pieces! ;)

I selected to do Puss in the Corner quilt from a book I got at the library.

My colors are kinda spring-like. I was going to select pink instead of blue, but I couldn't find a pink in my stash that I'd be happy with. And frankly, I can't see or easily access half of my stash because it's so crazily packed into the closet. :/


I did cut it VERY close with my fabric amounts that I did find.

That's all that's left of the three yards I used. I managed to get enough pieces for the quilt top, one small flower border, one large blue border and purple for the binding. Those scraps can go into string quilts, and then it'll be all over for those fabrics. :)


I got the pattern from the book "Quilts from the Quilt Maker's Gift"

I recently saw the author, Joanne Larsen Line, on Simply Quilts. I decided to see if my library carried both the quilt book and the children's storybook. They did! :) But I gotta hurry up and make the quilt, cuz the book is due on March 4th. And I've already renewed it once. :P

I was pondering on something, and was wondering if some of you would share your feelings. When I check out a quilting book from the library, and actually make a pattern from the book... how is it any different from copying a friend's pattern or book? I'm getting the pattern for free, and so are the other 473 people who check out the book. Obviously it isn't illegal, or else libraries wouldn't be allowed to carry quilting books. Or you'd probably have to sign something that says you won't use the pattern from the book... it's all very complicated, isn't it? :P

Leah

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I just love the illustrations in The Quiltmaker's Gift...can't wait to see how your project turns out! :)

Is it illegal to make copies of patterns from those books? Unless you were selling those copied patterns for a profit, which I'm positive is illegal, who would know you copied it just to make yourself a pretty quilt? Lol* I think you're safe! :)

Shelina said...

Here's my take on it. If someone publishes a pattern, they obviously intend for the people to make whatever the pattern is for. I have heard that it is okay to make a copy for yourself. You're allowed to share your book with others, but you can't make a copy to give to them. The pattern belongs to the designer. Only one person can have the original at a time.