Saturday, June 13, 2009

Reviving a ghost

I finally got one of my oldest quilt projects into a top! I want to say that I started it in 2002? Yeah, my first year of quilting. It's Eleanor Burn's Log Cabin in a Day. Yes... you may laugh. :)

I got the first row sewn together and half of the blocks made. Since then, it was untouched. I got married, I moved to apartment #1 and still didn't do a thing. Moved to apartment #2, placed the blocks and strips near the door so I would see it every time I walked in or out of my sewing room, and still didn't do a thing! Moved to apartment #3 (this one)... hey, let's get it finished. :)


It took me a little creative thinking of the pattern I was trying to create. All I remembered was that there was a "star" in the middle and the greens made a "diamond" cross. I lost the paper I drew up the design and didn't think to look back at my old pictures.

Yeah, you can't really tell there's a star, the green dominates. Two things that surprised me about this quilt - one, I still like it. Two, my quarter-inch seam allowance was pretty good and I didn't have to do much fudging to get the blocks to nestle together. I'll thank Mom for that, she taught me the 5/8ths seam allowance for clothes sewing very well. :)

But quilt in a day? Ha! Not from this gal. Now I gotta decide... green border, blue binding; or do I do blue border, green binding? My husband was no help. :P

Leah

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's very pretty. I love that layout.

Unknown said...

very nice Leah, love the colors. My vote is for blue border, green binding :-)

sclangs said...

I like the colors too. I can see the star in there too. Maybe try both a small green and small blue border then bind with both colors intermittently. ???

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I vote for blue border, green binding. :)

QuiltNut Creations said...

that is very pretty. good for you for getting it finished!

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

boy, the move sure got you fired up. It is beautiful.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Ooooh gorgeous! :)

Mary said...

I'm seeing blue border green binding. Or if you applique...white border with green vines and leaves and blue flowers. No matter how you finish is will be awesome!

Marla said...

Love the colors...it'll be worth the wait!!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

It's gorgeous!

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm still working on hand quilting a "Quilt in a Day" trip around the world from 17 years ago!

Holly said...

Leah, I love your new quilt top and the log cabin is pretty. I can see the star! I like that layout a lot. The first log cabin I made was the Quilt in a Day but Eleanor Burns had us tearing our fabric. I think that was before rotary cutters became popular. We're talking 1980's here.

Tracey said...

Hi Leah...beautiful! My vote is blue border, green binding :-) Hope it helps....

Holly said...

Congrats on getting it done. It is beautiful. Job well done. And one less to worry about finishing.